Sunday, September 22, 2019

~ MMGM NATIONAL LIBRARY CARD SIGNUP MONTH ~

~ MARVELOUS MIDDLE-GRADE
MONDAY 'SEPTEMBER IS
LIBRARY CARD SIGN-UP' 
MONTH FEATURE~

Since 1987, September has been celebrated as 'Library Card Sign-Up Month' by the American Library Association{ALA} and various other organizations. This post features some of the fascinating information I found in the ALA's press kit and on various other websites regarding libraries and their impact on communities. Links to various resources follow each section.

NATIONAL LIBRARY CARD SIGN-UP MONTH {from National Day Calendar website}:
As kids head back to school, there’s no better time for them to discover the treasures awaiting them in the local library. September is National Library Card Sign-Up Month!

A library card can be a rite of passage for your child, giving them a sense of obligation and responsibility. As a library patron, children learn the importance of caring for things that belong to others. Children take the essential early step in their development when they obtain their library card and become a conscientious member of the community.

Visiting your local library also encourages your child to read. Reading helps brain development and provides a solid foundation of the language and literacy skills. Opening a book encourages children to travel to faraway places and let their imagination sore. Develop reading as a hobby early and young for every child.

LIBRARIES OF THE WORLD:
The world’s oldest running library is the St. Catherine’s Monastery in the Sinai, Egypt. It was built in the mid-6th century C.E. And, the Vatican houses the most extensive collection of religious material in the world. When the Great Library of Alexandria burned down (circa 640 C.E.) among the great works believed to have been lost was the private collection of Aristotle.

The U.S. Library of Congress houses over 150 million items as the world’s largest library. This accomplishment takes up to 830 miles of shelves. In contrast, only one person at a time fits in the world’s smallest library on the streets of New York. The reader can choose from just 40 books.



📕 📗 📘 📙 📚 📕 📗 📘 📙 📚 📕 📗 📘 📙 📚


Here are some highlights from the ALA's 2019 'The State of America's Libraries' Report which I found particularly interesting.








LEARN MORE ABOUT THE ALA'S 2019 'STATE OF AMERICA'S LIBRARIES' REPORT AT:



📕 📗 📘 📙 📚 📕 📗 📘 📙 📚 📕 📗 📘 📙 📚

And lastly, my personal favorite. Here's a way to calculate what your library is worth to you by placing a value on the various materials, resources, and services a patron accesses at the public library. I was very conservative when I inputted estimates of my personal usage of our county library's resources, etc., for one year. I was not at all surprised to learn that I annually use about $4,855 worth of materials, resources, and service!

CALCULATE HOW MUCH YOUR LIBRARY IS WORTH TO YOU AT:
http://www.ilovelibraries.org/what-libraries-do/calculator

 

                 📕 📗 📘 📙 📚 📕 📗 📘 📙 📚 📕 📗 📘 📙 📚


Learn about more great middle-grade reads by visiting Greg Pattridge's 'Always in the Middle' blog to find the links to other blog posts celebrating Marvelous Middle-Grade Monday!
 
# # # # #






6 comments:

  1. I didn't realize this was Library Sign-Up Month. What a cool idea I always loved the library and instilled that love in my daughter too when she was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite interesting! I haven't checked how much my library is worth to me but I doubt I'd get as high as you. I have the school library and another public library nearby. I get so many review requests from publishers, my checkout history has been way down the past few years. Thanks for all the stats. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post about libraries and their importance in our lives. Thanks for sharing this, it's a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post! When I was teaching, I would give my students bonus points if they would bring in a library card from the local public library. I figured if I got them in there once, maybe they would go back and use it in the future. Some told me they did. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time I ever heard about Library Sign-Up Month! I remember getting my first card and how excited I was. Libraries save my book budget. Many times I request a book well in advance of the release and get it close to the publication date. They certainly have saved me -- and I make sure that a book makes it into their system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! for library cards. Without which I would be impoverished - because, really, who can afford $7,000+ a year for books?

    ReplyDelete

~ NEW SEWING PATTERN FABRIC FLOWER TOWELS ~

~ NEW SEWING PATTERN FABRIC FLOWER TOWELS ~